Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Can I drive...for good?

For me, one of the worst setbacks of having epilepsy is the high risk of getting my driver's license taken away. Remember in high school when we got our licenses, and showed them off as if we won the lottery? Now picture tucking away your license in an envelope that will be delivered to your DMV...for a year. I had to do that painful act two miserable times. If you are a New Jersey resident, and have had a seizure, you lose your driver's license for one whole year. This only applies if you tell your doctor. I was always tempted to lie to my doctor just so I wouldn't lose my driving privilege. Of course, my parents and I couldn't get ourselves to do that, so being the honest people that we are, I have had the worst luck with driving. I get seizures practically every two years, so obviously driving has always been an issue. Playing this annoying game with DMV has really got me frustrated. Having people cart you around can get old very fast. I feel helpless and sometimes even a prisoner in my own home. I'm not going to lie. It absolutely sucks being 21 years old and calling my parents to pick me up. I have my license right now, but since I had a seizure in November, I'm holding my breath. My doctor doesn't want me driving alone anymore for awhile, and he is going to try and help me out and convince DMV that I am capable of driving responsibly. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your driving situation. I hope it isn't a complete fiasco. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't drive.

    ReplyDelete